Hard Rock Miner
- Admission and Administration Requirements
- Academic Admission Requirements:
- High school diploma or high school equivalency (Transcript and/or diploma to be forwarded to the College); or
- Mature students who do not meet the education prerequisites may be considered for admission on an individual basis provided the following conditions are met:
- Applicants are at least 19 years of age at the time of application;
- Applicants have been out of school for at least one year;
- Applicants complete the standardized assessment instrument and obtain the result of high school equivalence on all subtests;
- Applicants present a certified copy of grades for the highest educational level attained.
- Completion of Keyin College’s official application form;
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable). It must be noted that this is an additional cost for the processing of your application.
- International applications are subject to a $250 application processing fee (non-refundable)
In today’s mining industry, safety and training are of paramount importance. Miners must have solid credentials in order to work in the challenging environment of an underground mine. Such training is known in the industry as “common core” training with central themes of health and safety, knowledge of mining processes, and fundamental hard rock mining training. Specialized training in specific areas, as well as safety program certifications complete an overall comprehensive training program that prepares the miner very well for the career he/she is entering.
Every mine has its own characteristics as well as peculiarities, and as such, requires specific specialized training programs in addition to the common core modules and the safety training certifications. These specialized courses, while similar in description and composition, apply to specific aspects of particular mines, and therefore have particular reference to the successful and safe operation of the mine. Generally, such courses have application overall to the mining industry, and thus their value cannot be overemphasized.
Keyin College offers a comprehensive underground miner training program that is based on researched models from the industry, combined with the college’s extensive experience in the delivery of safety training courses. The demand for qualified miners in Newfoundland and Labrador within the near future is very high, and therefore successful completion of the hard rock miner training program will be a tremendous asset to all who seek to obtain a rewarding career in the mining industry.
Our partnership with Canada Fluorspar is another step toward the reactivation of the fluorspar mines at St. Lawrence, and will lead to great employment opportunities for the community. http://www.canadafluorspar.com/
*Pending Government Approval for Burin Campus
- Hard Rock Miner Courses View
- Induction Procedures
- Mining Safety Processes
- Lock Out/Tag out
- Introduction to Computers
- Career Skills/Communication Skills
- Confined Space Awareness
- Haulage Truck Safety
- Materials Handling & Storage
- Fall Protection Awareness
- Fire Protection & Prevention Awareness
- Evacuation Safety
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Standard First Aid
- Powerline Hazards